The ‘Love Your River’ campaign is being launched and backed by DeFRA, the National Trust, the Environment Agency, the Wildlife Trusts, Keep Britain Tidy, water companies and Waterwise, to promote the value and benefits of our rivers to our everyday life. The need to protect our rivers has become more urgent in light of droughts being declared in various parts of the country, with some of southern Yorkshire joining the list of drought affected areas today.
- The campaign will concentrate on the issues that affect rivers and encourage people to think about:
- How the water we use in our homes or businesses affects the water in our local river;
- How the pollutants we dump down our drains harms our local water;
- The fact that there is likely to be less water available for people and businesses in the future and the knock-on effect this will have on the natural world around the river; and
- How we could get by with less in the event of drought measures in our areas.